Tent Space Experiences

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started byHollyr,Aug 17,2015.

1. Hollyr

Hollyr Vesterislendingur Supporter

Oddometer:
    5punksdadandmysz74like this.
  2. warriorcole

warriorcole n00b sch00b

Oddometer:
    I have had about 10 riders stay here from Tentspace.All has been well.A few oddballs (you know who you are) so you fit right in.
    marbee40andmysz74like this.
  3. Hollyr

Oddometer:
    I'm sure you get lots of people heading to Barber.Where were they from?How does an 新利18苹果ADVrider determine oddball vs normal for us?
    MargaritaMotoresslikes this.
  4. warriorcole

warriorcole n00b sch00b

Oddometer:
    Well one had "odd" in his name (Odd Scott).I had one young man about 20 years old who when I offered him a beer informed me that he was too young to drink.I admired his honesty.I think my girlfriend at the time scared the hell out of him.Hell,she scared me.One inmate wrecked his bike after leaving.他们来自世界的各个角落。I am sure to have many more to come.Oh,I forgot about the one legged German girl on the BMW bearing gifts from Colorado.
  5. Hollyr

Oddometer:
    Sounds like fun!Mine have all been more 'normal' than me.The most embarrassing for me was the young Australian couple in the link I put in the first post.I had been riding in Europe,got back and had to spend Thursday and Friday in Toronto for work then was heading to the MOA rally Saturday morning.Of course,since I had been away for a month and was leaving again there was NO food or beer in the house when I got the email asking if they could stay on Thursday.I gave them the code for the garage,told them where the spare bedroom was and apologized for Mother Hubbard's cupboard.They were so cheerful despite the lack of food,drink or even me there to welcome them.Friday night I took them out to dinner then left them Saturday morning with instructions re garbage day etc.They were super guests!Wish I 'd had more time with them.
    TonyKZ1andKjeChrlike this.
  6. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Had very good times.

I even got to host somene once who passing tbrough to knock out the last of the 50 states.He was on a older DL650.

I have maybe less than 10 planned tent space visits.一些人。

Best time was the 新利18苹果AdventureLoft™ on Broadway in the Big Apple.

Fuhgeddaboutit.

Ohh,wait,I have to tell a story.

And it was very very hospitable!Very nice folk.Best part of the New England tour...Central PA was the second best.
  7. warriorcole

warriorcole n00b sch00b

Oddometer:
    I have made a couple of lifetime friends from tentspace people who have stayed.For this year I have added about 350 sq.feet of porch which will help for rainy weather.I have a makeshift fire pit and keep some firewood and have a river on the property which people seem to like.Looking forward to meeting some new folks passing through this next year.
    # 7
    robram,Foilerand5punksdadlike this.
  8. Eyes Shut

Eyes Shut See no evil Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We've hosted a bunch of folks through TentSpace.They've all been nice and interesting people that we would be happy to host again -- except for that last guy we hosted!(No,not Jamie Z!It was a pleasure to meet and host Jamie!! :nod)

Anyway,that last guy -- who shall remain nameless-- was traveling with an odd 3-wheeled contraption and needed a part...from Germany.We were skeptical that he would receive it in a timely manner but he was certain that it would get here quickly.It didn't.He ended up staying for far longer than was workable for us -- 9 days!!-- and we finally had to ask him to leave.Fortunately for him,he got the part the next day and was able to get on the road again.
    naruseandrobramlike this.
  9. warriorcole

warriorcole n00b sch00b

Oddometer:
    I usually have a few stay for the weekend for Barbers Vintage and an odd few roll through and want to stay one night and see the museum.Had one guy show up in the worst storm I have ever seen.I let him sleep on an air mattress in my office because my daughter was in town.He e-mailed me 2 days later and told me he totaled his bike in Texas and went for an ambulance ride.I have yet to use Tentspace yet but plan on it in the near future.
    marbee40likes this.
  10. damurph

damurph Cold 新利18苹果Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    I have had quite a few and thoroughly enjoyed the giving experience.Being the most easterly point in North America showing off Newfoundland comes easy and the culture/food differences make any guest think we as a people are a bit odd.Cod Tongues and Seal Flipper pie are usually a hit but I have had a few guests who were not open to the experience.Everyone is different though and all have been grateful for the customs,language and food lessons.
  11. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer:
    We have enjoyed hosting travelers and helping them enjoy our part of the planet for many years

Most call asking about tent space and are thrilled when I inform them there is plenty of space if they do not want to use the spare bedroom,thusly no tent stake holes in my lawn.

I even store a moto for a couple from Ireland who will arrive 8/26 for their 3rd visit to ride to Yellowstone and beyond.

Ryker from England just left yesterday headed for South America after hanging around here for several weeks rebuilding his KTM 690 in my shop.

JamieZ and Tiffany Caotes were by recently on their way to Overland Expo in Flagstaff

Andy and Ellen from NZ (twomotokiwis) stayed a week a couple years ago.

Guaterider from Guatemala stayed awhile.

Nomadgirl stopped by on her epic travels.I first ran into her near Duluth,明尼苏达州。Then after she stopped here a year later I ran into her again in 2013 as I came south from Alaska and she was headed north.

Anders from Denmark visited years ago on his way to Venezula and his Aunt (non motorcyclist) was here this June for a few days at his recommendation.

Some San Fran locals even stopped in;
    Wheatwacker (now living in Ireland) and specialagentnancy have visited.

I have list somewhere of about 30+ people who have visited and enjoyed every visitor.
    Many I find on the "Trip Panning" forum and I extend an invitation while reminding them to take advantage of the "Tent Space List" during their travels.

Feel free to stop by when in Nor-Cal.
    www.visitlodi.com
  12. warriorcole

warriorcole n00b sch00b

Oddometer:
    Damn,I love this place.I just got a couple of good thoughts about next year's trip.
  13. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin,again:)

Oddometer:
    We're located in eastern South Dakota.Easy access for travelers going to or from the Black Hills.To the amazement of friends & relatives,that we open our home to complete strangers,we've been fortunate to host many travelers,several of them traveling RTW.Most are surprised when we put them up in our 29' 5th wheel camper trailer!It's air-conditioned & they have their own bedroom,bath & fridge stocked with bottled water......and Beer!

Listening to their stories is awesome!One of the reasons my wife & I travel the back roads is to meet the locals.We get the same experience by being Tent Space hosts.

We don't mind spur of the moment contacts,although a little advance notice will probably get them a good smoked rack of ribs!Part of the experience of staying with us is they get fed......and Beer of course.

One of our recent guests told us that only about 40% of the Tent Space inquiries he makes reply back.That was surprising....

We also keep a scrap book with pictures & contact info of our guests.Great memories!
  14. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. jjustj

jjustj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jamie Zlikes this.
  16. damurph

damurph Cold 新利18苹果Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    My last guests said that of all the requests for tent space only two replied.I was surprised because it is a voluntary thing that enriches your experience as well as the guests.
    5punksdadandSleddoglike this.
  17. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
    Stories?...A bunch from all over the world.

We had the Unimog for half a week.
    TonyKZ1likes this.
  18. isalas16

isalas16 新利18苹果Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've hosted 4 people in the last year,(you would think more people would jump at a change for free parking and stay in costa rica).

Great experiences with all of them,the first two (friends riding together) was by far the weirdest most fun one,they were suppose to stay for 1 night,but ended up staying 15 days!due to one of them getting severely ill (he had about 100 mosquito bites from El salvador or guatemala I forget and got denge from one of those)

Daily trips to the hospital,but we got to share a bunch of stories and time together,we remain good friends and I'm actually visiting one of them soon in the UK.

The other two were more normal stayovers,only here for a couple of nights at most,still got to hang around with them a bunch,help with bike maintenance and did a few local rides around town to waterfalls and volcano nearby.

I can say its been a great experience so far and I've already lined up a few visit in europe to which I got almost instant positive responses !
  19. TerraUnFirma

TerraUnFirma Fair/Not Balanced

Oddometer:
    Hosted a guy from Annapolis for a couple of days while he waited out a deluge and did some minor repairs on his bike.Interesting guy who was visiting some of the Civil War historical sites in the South.Great experience and got a few beers and a dinner out of the deal!

I'll be making use of this feature next Spring,if not sooner!
    5punksdadlikes this.
  20. Hollyr

Oddometer:
    We try to keep the list up to date with the annual double check,but some people just seem to disappear and we give the 2 requests about a month apart before nuking their post.I couldn't agree more about it enriching the experience of both hosts and guests.I always look forward to any visitors.