Round the World on a Panigale

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started byAntiHero,Mar 5,2014.

1. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm doing it.RTW on an 1199.

Start date target:5/1/14 Delayed to 6/20/14
    Flying into: London (probably)
    Duration:6 mos-2 years

Bike: 2012 Panigale S
    Shipping carrier: undetermined (motorcycleexpress?)
    GPS: Unlocked iPhone 4S
    VOIP: Viber
    Backpack: Osprey
    Luggage: SW Motech 14-21 tank bag
    Riding gear: REV'IT Stellar Jacket + GT-R Pants
    Gloves: RS Taichi something or other.Look like Darth Vader gloves,but they have plastic sliders on the palms (helps prevent wrist snapage)
    Boots: Sidi Gortex Armadas
    Delorme: probably
    Tent: Sprocket67
    Sleeping Bag: Western Mountaineering Summerlite
    Health Insurance: unknown (ADAC?)
    Extraction Insurance: unknown

Feel free to fill in the blanks and make recommendations.Keep in I do not have the luxury of space,nor do I really want that luxury.Everything has to fit into a tank bag and a backpack.A lot of items people deem necessities (like GPS) are impossibilities.

1) All gear needs to be all weather and it needs to be safe for track use.
    2) I'm not taking anything that needs to be plugged into the bike (though I am considering hardwiring a radar detector that's hidden.
    3) I'm not adding panniers for more space

What are the laws regarding knifes (folders) in Europe?
    Do radar cameras just take pics of the front of the bike?
    What countries are 'speed friendly' and which ones are not?
  2. mbravo

mbravo 新利18苹果Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Radar detector can get you in trouble in some countries,including at the border (say,Finnish border guards are pretty experienced detecting these things in Russian cars,ripping them out and fining the guy).I'm not an expert on knife laws,but I know that,say,in UK you can't even legally carry a Leatherman.I'm sure people from different places will fill in the blanks.Consider investing into an offline navigator software for your iPhone,if only for the peace of mind (I have been pretty happy with Sygic,a Slovakian (I think) app which uses TomTom maps,which you can buy in bulk (as in say all Europe) at reasonable price which includes lifetime updates.That way,even if you find yourself out of 3g connectivity and paper maps,as long as you have some juice left in the phone and a view to the sky,you will get quality navigation.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  3. LWRider

LWRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For a tent,you might want to take a look at the Redverz Series II Expedition tent.It has some pace in case you are tent bound for a spell and packing is small: 9x21 inches.That's smaller than my Walmart two man,which was the smallest I could find at the time(and afford).:
    http://shop.redverz.com/tents/the-series-ii-expedition-tent-green/

I think fellow inmate Jeff Kurtz (KurtzinPA on ADV,I think) has one of these so you may want to check in with him.

Cheers,

Mike
  4. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here!

Tent suggestion:
    From REI,it's a one piece backpacking tent weighing in at a scant 3.2 pounds ( including footprint under cover but not including blue tarp shown ).The model is Seedhouse.Very easy to set up,dry,tent and frame rolls up to football size,rugged,and very wind resistant.
  5. Scott916

Scott916 新利18苹果Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For the warmer locales and periods of the year,you might want to consider hammock camping instead of a tent.I have a setup from ENO that's less than 10L packed and only weighs a few pounds.My back loves it!

http://www.rei.com/product/830267/eno-one-link-hammock-shelter-system#specsTab

Knives are a really dicey proposition in Ireland and the UK.I actually leave my EDC Benchmade Mini-Stryker in the states when I'm there for business or fun.I think once you're on the mainland it gets better,but it's probably a case where research is needed for every country.The only country I can give you a clear good to go on from experience is Poland.In questionable countries,I'd be tempted to drop it into the tool roll in the little space in the rear subframe.

Most of the countries I've been to are speed friendly except for the cameras.They really rely on the cams to enforce the speed limit.Some of them,like Poland have them marked well in advance so you really have to be daydreaming to get caught.Riding and driving all over Ireland,I have never seen the Garda running a speed trap,it's all cameras.I'm not sure if the cameras are front only,but I doubt it,since I know they get bikes with them.

I've found Sidi boots,both my old Vertigos that I crash tested last year,and the STs that replaced them are a good balance of protection and not being awful to walk in.They do tend to be a bit squeaky though.
  6. mbravo

mbravo 新利18苹果Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. airhead_irl

airhead_irl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cork,Ireland (Irlande,Eire,Irland,Hibernia)
    The best way to carry a knife in Ireland or the UK would be to store it
    either with your camping equipment or with your tools.A knife will only
    really be a problem if you are carrying it off the bike.We regularly
    carry Leathermans on local trips while on the bikes but I won't dare
    carry anything like it while out socializing or in the pub etc.

Speed cameras are the majority these days here in Ireland.However,
    the Gardai do set up speed traps from time to time.I wouldn't sweat it
    though as being a foreigner they will not follow up on payment of the
    fine as it is not an "on the spot" fine.My betting is that you would get
    off with a "stern talking to" once they see the foreign licence plate !! :D
    Speed detection in Ireland is rarely about safety - it's a racket to generate
    revenue.
    And you are quite correct - most of the other EU countries have their cameras
    sign posted.

The UK will be pretty similar.
  9. mart´n

mart´n Viking

Oddometer:
    Be aware,that in some european contries you need to buy a "vignette"(permit) to use the roads.Some contries only require vignette,when using the interstate,while other countries require vignette no matter if you take the highway,backroad og interstate.
    Once you know which countries you´ll be driving through,post it here,and I´ll let you know what vignette you need.

Regarding speeding,I would say you´ll have to be careful in Scandinavia.Fines are high in Sweden and Denmark,while Norway is utterly insane!
    Once you get to Germany,you´ll be fully able to see what that italian beauty is capable of :D- autobahn :clap

Regarding cameras,be aware,that France had new cameras installed last year,so that they are able to read the license plate both front and back.
  10. ijg5

ijg5 n00b

Oddometer:
    Dennis I am London based,so ping me if you need b&b for a few days.Also most of IOM boats book up well in advice from uk mainland or Ireland.Do a check for this year.

Most speed cameras take picture off rear of bike..Good luck
  11. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    skip the radar detector,slow down,and enjoy the world as you ride through it,with money saved,have drinks with locals and learn about their little corner of the globe.
    and hope your back and wrists are up to the task on that torture rack!
  12. pilot3

pilot3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dennis,

You might want to look at these threads before committing to the SPOT.Lots of good information to help decide which will be best for you.One thing I like about the Delorme is it offers you two options,one unit that is standalone and the other can be linked to your iPhone so your normal phone is the communicator.

Regards
    p3

http://新利18苹果www.xczmw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882404

http://新利18苹果www.xczmw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954189

http://新利18苹果www.xczmw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=953638
  13. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jeez,you guys friggin rock.Such great info.Looks like it'll be just a Swiss army pocket knife for me.4 years in jail for a locking folder in the UK seems a little excessive.Kind of scares me to think that people are so fucking batshit crazy in England that they can't be trusted with a pocket knife (which is about the best tool in the world if you only have one tool).Only time I ever pulled it in anger in the past 20 years was when charging a wild pig (it charged me first).Even when I've gotten into fights,my Strider stayed in my jeans.

Fritz: The Seedhouse looks killer.New 新利18苹果下载news,though.Just picked up a tent sponsor--a motorcyclist and backpacker who hasn't been happy with anything companies are producing,so he decided to produce his own.Kickstarter Campaign starts next month.I should have a prototype to try and abuse by then.Should fold into a nerfball sized-shape.

Pilot: Yes!The Delorme seems a generation or two ahead of the Spot.Good stuff indeed.

ijg5: transport is looking grim for the TT.I plan on going a week before practice starts and will most likely staying a few days after,too.Will take you up on your offer in London,thank you very much in advance.

Mart'n: I plan on visiting every country in Europe.:) I'll plan on keeping it cool in Norway,Denmark and Sweden,though.

Bikerfish: I don't drive like an asshole or have plans on blasting through any countries with the intent on pegging the speedo (except on the Autobahn).But I definitely am more like Crito than Socrates.Obeying unjust laws (like doing 80 in a 60 on an open road in the middle of nowhere) only perpetuates injustice.A radar detector prevents me from being fined for disobeying what are occasionally 'incorrect' limits.
  14. No_Good_ID

No_Good_ID 新利18苹果Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle Express ships internationally and offers a discount to AMA members.
  15. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:

Europe is the easy bit.

But you´ll want to do a RTW,and you´ll be heading East - where?
  16. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    + one more Q for you (sorry the edit message function´s not working for me..)

I think that it´s basically a great idea to do it on a Panigale,´thinking outside the box´ etc ......but you ARE sure,that you will be able to service AND fix that bike ALL by yourself,even in the middle of nowhere?

Because once you leave Europe behind,and head east,there will be no dealer service network,and even less understanding about modern electronics on modern FI+TC+ABS bikes.
  17. bjornarhuse

bjornarhuse 新利18苹果Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After experiencing the UK kitchen,I recommend coming to Norway for some real food...AKA,reindeer (Rudolph) and whale.

Unfortunately,the UK-Norway ferry is discontinued and won't be coming back up this year,it seems.If you do find your way over (ferry from Denmark) go along the west coast going north to Tromsø (and the northernmost spot in Norway is still a few hours north),then slice over Sweden in lappland,into Finland going south.Sweden and Finland is pretty boring,mostly pine forest.

If you do a Scandinavia tour you should go to Hamburg and take the train down to München overnight.Driving on the Autobahn is bloody boring!

Be sure to put the "World Ducati Week" on your itinerary,at Misano (just south of Venice) in the middle of July.
  18. pumpe3

pumpe3 lazy Swede

Oddometer:
    in both Norway and Sweden,there is something called "allemansrätten" which allows you to wild camping in the woods as long as you do not disturb neighbors or farmer,just a tip.
    In Sweden,Norway and Finland the speedcameras only take pictures from the front,in both Finland and Norway it's crazy expensive to speed if you get caught,in Sweden it's just expensive,in Norway,you must have a high-visibility vest with you,otherwise you get fined.

My tip is to leave Scandinavia before September,when it gets dark,wet and cold and go south.Norway is the most beautiful country of Scandinavia but most expensiv.
  19. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pumpe: Great info,thanks.Looks like I'll be safe from cameras on a motorbike,but not so much if I get popped in person.Are fines collected onsite?

Bjornarhuse: Can't wait to cross two more beasts off my list.Reindeer and Whale.MMMM.Will most definitely hit up World Ducati Week,too.

Pecha: Oh I'll pretty much be screwed if my bike breaks down in the middle of nowhere.But the Ducati network is reachable from just about anywhere.There's Ducati Samara,Ekaterinburg,Krasnoyarsk in Russia;Ducati Almaty in Kazakhstan,Chandigarh in India and Nepal,then a bunch of dealers in SE Asia and 6 or so in China.Worst case scenario I hitch a ride on a truck.
  20. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    better get a rig so the chiropractor can tag along. :lol3