Kymco K-Pipe

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started byAMAC1680,Feb 19, 2016.

1. AMAC1680

AMAC1680Outdoorsman, advocate, paraplegic

Oddometer:
  2. scooterguy63

scooterguy63Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hard to go wrong for 1999.00
  3. scooterguy63

scooterguy63Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i also understand from my dealer that kymco has dropped the price of the scooters by a few hundred dollars
  4. MiniBike

MiniBikeStill here...

Oddometer:
    A Grom for us taller guys.
    AMAC1680likes this.
  5. Phipsd

PhipsdOlder but not wiser.

Oddometer:
    It makes me think of a 67 Honda S90 for the 21st century. That was the first motorcycle I ever had a ride on. I was on the back, all 6ft 5 of me, and 14 years old!!!!I never forgot.

Even the kids working at McBloaters could afford one of these. I wonder if they'll get interested?
  6. longhaul747

longhaul747Long timer

Oddometer:
    This looks pretty cool actually. A great and affordable urban runner that returns solid fuel mileage. As mentioned it really looks like a big wheeled Grom and I also got Honda S90 feelings about it!

Only problem I see is its a day late. With gas prices hitting rock bottom and the economy supposedly better I feel like people are starting to move up in the bike world again. I am just not sure what sort of real market exist for a bike like this? It obviously targets a younger demographic and if it catches on it could be a big hit. However kids now days have far different programming then what I had when I was a kid.
  7. JerseyBiker

JerseyBikerLiving the life!

Oddometer:
    Saw one today at the dealer. Bigger wheels than the grom and longer wheelbase too. Looks more like a small "real" bike instead of like a "toy" like the grom (IMO).

Hmmm. $1999..... Hmmm m.
  8. longhaul747

longhaul747Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just the other day I was wondering when these were going to show up? I was thinking of riding to the nearest Kymco dealer to have a look but its a bit out of the way. I would hate to go out there and then find out they don't have it in yet.

I am passively considering it because it looks cool however I am not exactly serious at this time. I may track it and see how well it goes and wait for some road test in some of the mags before I bite. Its bound to get a review or two here soon hopefully.

$1999 is a pretty attractive price if it scoots along like the Grom. However it seems just about every Kymco being sold has some discounts applied. Some fairly steep!

If they don't seem to move by winter I expect some nice discounts even from the already low price. Then again if they find a target audience they might end up being pretty popular. I doubt it though...now days kids just don't think about things like this any longer.
  9. Dabears

DabearsLong Timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not in the market, but this has some things going for it (for me at least). Carb instead of FI, 4 spd, and only 225 lbs. Also interesting that it has both kick and electric start on such a low price bike.

With the bigger wheels I bet this thing is a hoot. Any guesses as to top speed? With only 2 valves I'm guessing this is pretty low power- doubt it will break 60 mph....
  10. JerseyBiker

Oddometer:
    Good questions. We will have to wait and see.

我有我的公路,长途但胡蜂属have been wanting a bike to ride around. I don't want to spend a lot since I don't imagine long trips on a bike.

There are forest roads around here and, of course, the Blue Ridge Parkway, none of which allow speeds anywhere near 60 mph. This could be a good choice for that kind of riding and riding in the city.

I'll need to get back down to the dealer to see what the selling price is. Tho' even at $1999 it's a good deal if its usual Kymco quality.
  11. longhaul747

longhaul747Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is a top speed test of the European spec model. I did not watch it completely but it looks like it hit 101 km/h which is 62 MPH indicated. I would not be surprised if the speedo is a bit off though. Still not a bad top speed for what it is and should be fast enough for most urban work. Also I believe K-Pipes sold in most other markets have an automatic transmission. I don't know if transmission choice has any difference in top speed but I would think a manual would be slightly faster.

I am also wondering how it accelerates? I imagine its a bit anemic like the Grom. Normally this is not a big deal but lately if you are not off the line with the throttle pinned you will get run over then they almost run you over again when the light ahead changes. It seems since gas prices dropped its pedal to the medal. Even on my GW250 I somethings feel like I am about to get an enema out there.

I did recently learn on my Grom that if you hit the gears and power band just right its actually a quick little bike. However miss it a tad and it may not be accelerate at all! Just nature of the beast with these small displacement bikes!

今天是看起来像干燥的一天。我可能让罗ad trip 20 miles north north east of here and have a look. Maybe a test ride if they are willing!
  12. JerryH

JerryHVintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiastSupporter

Oddometer:
    I would love to have one of these just to play with, but I just can't deal with any more bikes. The price of gas has never influenced a bike purchase for me. But around here, prices are almost $1 a gallon from where they were maybe 3 months ago. Cheapest gas I can find here is around $2.20. When I rode my HD200 to Tucson, I found gas as low as $1.19. I expect it to hit at least $3 a gallon this summer. The last 125cc manual shift motorcycle I had was a Kawasaki Eliminator 125, and while it had a small displacement engine, the bike was heavy and felt very substantial. It weighed 319 pounds compared to 225 pounds for the K-Pipe. Even as big as I am, I could ride it all day in comfort. It had the upright cruiser/scooter riding position and a great seat. The seat on the K-Pipe looks more like what is on my XT225, which is definitely not all day comfortable on the highway. There is a Kymco dealer nearby, I'll have to at least go check it out.
  13. JerseyBiker

Oddometer:
    On my way for a text ride! Hope I love it!
    tastromanlikes this.
  14. Dabears

DabearsLong Timer

Oddometer:
    Let us know how it goes, and don't forget pictures!

Just looked at specs; 8 hp.. My P200E is 12 hp, and both are 225 lbs, carbed 4spd. I can barely break 62-65 and that's with a performance exhaust. My thoughts are that 55 would be about all that can be asked of the KPipe. I saw the video, but wonder if Kymco is as horrible with speedo calibration as SYM....
  15. tankshooter

tankshooterBeen here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw it for the first time listed by my local wacky bike shop on craigslist. I have been jonesing hard for a new bike. If it doesn't have that semi-auto that the overseas markets get it could be almost a done deal. The ad that I mentioned had pictures with an actual clutch lever... I hope. I may go see it tomorrow just for giggles.
  16. AMAC1680

AMAC1680Outdoorsman, advocate, paraplegic

Oddometer:
    Cool.
    I'm pissed my dealer tells me not till next week.

AMAC
  17. JerseyBiker

Oddometer:
    So I rode it. Quite peppy for a 125. Seat height of 31" and large wheels make for a smooth ride.
    It has a strange shift pattern- neutral at top and all other gears are down from that. So not 1-N-2-3-4 but rather
    4-3-2-1-N.
    Bottom line for me was it is too under powered, especially with my 240lb butt.

For a college kid it would likely make a great commuter.

Can't wait to see what others think.
  18. longhaul747

longhaul747Long timer

Oddometer:
    Took a nice ride out to check on the K-Pipe however as feared its not in stock yet despite saying so on the website. They did tell me they just got VIN numbers and they are in route. Should be here any day now but worst case by the end of the month. They know me a little bit so they plan to call me when they come in and get one set up.

Interestingly they say they have 10 deposits on them and people are going nuts. They wanted to know if I wanted to put a deposit down as well? At this point that is a NO. I somehow doubt they actually do but if they do in fact have 10 deposits it might end up being fairly successful intro for Kymco. They don't see Grom like shortages and they think Kymco will not have issues keeping up unless it really takes off.

It was not a completely worthless trip. The ride was nice and I stopped at one of my favorite Mexican restaurants on the way back. Also burned out the gas in my ST1300. Don't ride that bike much unless I am tripping!
  19. Yellow Jacket

Yellow JacketLong timer

Oddometer:
    JB, what dealer did you go to, Dal-Kawa?
  20. JerseyBiker

Oddometer:
    Yup.