Greater Wairarapa 2019...what's best?

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started byglitch_oz,Jul 11, 2018.

1. glitch_oz

glitch_ozLong timer

加入:
    Apr 23, 2006
    Oddometer:
    Or rather: the general area from Hastings south to Cape Palliser.

[​IMG]

Time: late March/ early April 2019, 2 weeks... bikes are booked, deposits paid.

Rough Plan: 3-4 days to get from and to AKL, those routes are flexible and depend on weather at the time, no pre-bookings, no fixed plans. Will enter/ exit the "Wairarapa" either via Woodville...or Hastings.
    Those 2 "commutes" are pretty much sorted.
    Which leaves a week to be spend around the south-east of the NI to check out the best and most scenic routes in that area between Hastings....and Welly.

Also looking for accom for 6-10 with pub/ food/ basic supplies preferably within walking distance.
    Thinking of about 2-3 multi-night "base-camps" to run loops from. Will bring bladders for extra fuel.

Some ideas on places, accom, routes, POI's and scenic stuff within the area would be great.

Cheers
    :-)
    EVLEDlikes this.
  2. Whale Rider

Whale RiderBeen here awhile

加入:
    May 16, 2010
    Oddometer:
    Glitch you need to visit Castlepoint via Castle Hill Road I will get some more suggestions together over the next couple of days for you probably best coming in from the Hawke's Bay.
    Lake Ferry and Cape Palliser
    WR
    glitch_ozandOaterslike this.
  3. Night Falcon

Night FalconPrevious Rider

加入:
    Dec 25, 2008
    Oddometer:
    10324年
    I'd include the Hawke's bay beach route....but thats just me:D
    IMG_2410.JPG IMG_2583.JPG IMG_2600 (2).jpg

我甚至很乐意指导你通过:y0!
    Mc107,glitch_ozandOaterslike this.
  4. glitch_oz

glitch_ozLong timer

加入:
    Apr 23, 2006
    Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer!
    从哪里……距离,时间吗?
    (just trying to get an idea of the basics)
    Not adverse to sand/ beach-riding in general, but hate the deep stuff and salt-water or estuaries are a no-no.
    Tyres would be an issue, too.

Thanks for that!
    Lake Ferry and Cape Palliser were definitely on the list.
    Castle Hill Rd. -> Castlepoint should make a nice loop via Mataikona and the Pack Spur + Te Mai Rds?

Someone might know if there is a way through from Otahome -> Castlepoint....Gmaps throws a wobbly, and it might be private land / farmhttps://goo.gl/oPu3xB
  5. Night Falcon

加入:
    Dec 25, 2008
    Oddometer:
    10324年
    其realatively容易骑…不deep san except for maybe couple meters entering and exiting the beach. I've done it easy with bald tires....you'll be fine.

There are a few places to start from ....you can enter via Waipawa or the back road from Havelock North. There are a couple of nice gravel bits either side of the beach.

The beach part is maybe 20 mins. The hole route from Havelock takes about 2hrs and you end up at the Parongahu pub right at the back of Herbertville/Route 52 road that takes you the backway through the Wairarapa. If I can figure out how to post my gps route of it I'll put it up.

The beach can be done anytime up to 2hrs pre or post high tide. Its an awesome scenic route.
    glitch_ozlikes this.
  6. glitch_oz

glitch_ozLong timer

加入:
    Apr 23, 2006
    Oddometer:

SOLD!:-)
    Will include a tide-table in the preps.
    Will keep Porangahau and Herbertville Pubs pegged as possible base-camps for a couple of nights, if there's more worthwhile riding around.
    Would like to get to Waihi Falls, if there's enough water to make it worthwhile.
    Happy to veer off the 52 for more interesting stuff.
  7. Night Falcon

加入:
    Dec 25, 2008
    Oddometer:
    10324年
    not sure if you can actually stay at the Parongahau pub?

The LNI ride we did organised by@EVLEDhad some nice gravel and went through the Waihi falls. I'm sure he could give you a route from Parongahau through there.

Depending on your timing.....if you got to the Pub by midday you could do the inland route through to Dannevirke, Woodville or even Palmy and park up there for a couple of days. You could then easily fit in North Range Road and take a mini excursion up Takapari Road and back.

I'm still not that familiar with all the roads around here but I'm sure@EVLEDor@Whale Ridercould sort some other scenic roads to fill in some time.

You'd then be handier to Castle Point, Martinborough or Masterton to park up for more exploring.

I did that that area through to Cape Paliser early 2017 and stayed in Martinborough at a BnB....nice riding.
    IMG_20170110_162610.jpg IMG_20170110_163056.jpg IMG_20170111_090629.jpg IMG_20170111_092424.jpg
    glitch_ozandOaterslike this.
  8. EVLED

EVLEDBike riding nutter!

加入:
    Aug 24, 2012
    Oddometer:
    Hmmmm, now let me see.....
  9. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bitsIn need of repairSupporter

加入:
    Sep 26, 2008
    Oddometer:
    I assume that you've scouredAdventure Riding NZ'ssite? Point of interest coming up from Wellington would be:
    • Ocean Beach (there & back ride - non maintained - but pretty coast ride),
    • Cape Palliser - White Rock Rd - if you can negotiate key access via the station - non maintained, & there is a big slip & scree slope in the middle of that - you wouldn't want luggage. If you can't get access both roads are worth it for 'there & back rides'.
    • Hinakura / Admirals Rd,
    • Homewood Rd,
    • Pori Rd leading onto Puketoi Rd (non maintained) - scenic, narrow, a good ride
    • Towai Rd,
    • Little Manuhara (stock route - grass & non maintained).
    • Akitio Beach.
    As Night Falcon notes, Takapari Rd (on the other side of the ranges) is there & back, sub alpine, subject to weather conditions, but largely rock base. Another not to have luggage on. Has big views once you achieve the summit. The end of the easier stuff is the A frame hut. It gets much more challenging from there, as the continuation isn't really maintained, & the track gets quite rutted. Confident riders only.

Both side of the Pohongina Valley are good riding. Pohangina Valley West rd still has some gravel though. Could do as a loop to get access to Takapari Rd.

North Range Rd runs along the top the ranges, relatively low though, windy at times, follows an old road bed which is now breaking up. There is heavy clay at the Pahiatua Track end that can be a challenge.

Another there & back run is up to Wharite Peak, from the Woodville side. Gives views onto both sides of the ranges.

A couple of other favourite gravel roads to throw into the mix:

• Tararua Rd, just on the Wairarapa side of the Pahitua track
    • Kopikopiko Rd, just on the Wairarapa side of the Pahiatua Track
    • Bowens Rd. Narrow, very limited traffic, closer to Ekatahuna
    There is a bunch of other stuff out there & further up. Some of which needs negotiated access.

bart-nz could help with the area around Dannevegas.
  10. Whale Rider

Whale RiderBeen here awhile

加入:
    May 16, 2010
    Oddometer:
    Looks like my work here is done.
    Everyone puts up Takapari Rd which is a great ride but out of the way. If you are after a look at the views then a trip up Wharite is just as good on a fine day.
    WR
    glitch_ozlikes this.
  11. glitch_oz

glitch_ozLong timer

加入:
    Apr 23, 2006
    Oddometer:
    Whooha!
    First up a huge THANKS for the avalanche of ideas and places/ routes/ roads etc., that'll keep me quiet and chomping through details for a few nights.:-)
    I might come back with the odd question or brainfart, hope nobody minds.
    Oaterslikes this.
  12. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTMLong timer

加入:
    Mar 3, 2012
    Oddometer:
    I left Porangahau heading for Dannevirke with some mates and we took the inland scenic route that meant a gravel road winding its way up a range of hills. Looking at the map it could've been Te Uri Rd. Someone here may be able to confirm this. Anyway if you do it in the same direction, remember to stop and look back as the views over Hawkes Bay are worth it.

There's also a lime works up high somewhere and it's a good ride over the top. I've always arrived there with my brain out of gear so I can't be sure where it is. Once again someone here will know the answer.

Memo to self: turn the tracking function on next time.

[​IMG]
    glitch_ozandNight Falconlike this.
  13. wairau

wairauget in behind!

加入:
    Mar 29, 2011
    Oddometer:
    what is that white bike please?
  14. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTMLong timer

加入:
    Mar 3, 2012
    Oddometer:
    990 SMT. Can't remember the year. Silly bugger sold it.

[​IMG]

They're more fun on the gravel with these tyres.
    Night Falconlikes this.
  15. EVLED

EVLEDBike riding nutter!

加入:
    Aug 24, 2012
    Oddometer:
    We did Te Uri Rd on the ride a couple of months ago and also competed in a rally through to the Lime works;)
  16. NZRalphy

NZRalphyI'm not half as good as I think I thought I was

加入:
    May 14, 2011
    Oddometer:
    Herbitville pub is cheep and one level above a 'dive' so it is GREAT place to stay with a Buch of mates $15/night in the dorm. Reasonable food.
    glitch_ozlikes this.
  17. NZRalphy

加入:
    May 14, 2011
    Oddometer:
    Good food and coffee at the Pongaroa Pub.

Oh and was the birth place of James Watson - Nobel prize for structure of DNA, there is a monument there.
    glitch_ozlikes this.
  18. NZRalphy

加入:
    May 14, 2011
    Oddometer:
    Go east out of Martinborough (great food in any of the cafes) and take the gavel Moeraki Rd north, the road turns into Ngakouni Rd north, then into Clifton Grove, then into Admiral hill ..... it is one road so I've no idea what the map maker was on. It is a public road and has a few gates. Great views.
  19. wairau

wairauget in behind!

加入:
    Mar 29, 2011
    Oddometer:

thanks.

silly bugger indeed.
  20. NZRalphy

加入:
    May 14, 2011
    Oddometer:
    I live in the Ctr of Wairarapa, keep in touch, I can probably put a couple up if needed, the garden is a mess of mud (new house build) so no bloody help with a tent. I'm a good engineer that can help out with a bike service, repair, or someone needs to use the ramp. Have your spares or tyres (can help fit them) sent to my place for safe keeping. Ralph
    glitch_ozlikes this.