eastern UP and Algoma district

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started byluftkoph,Sep 5, 2016.

1. luftkoph

luftkophLong timer

加入:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    DSCN0084.JPG The last thing to do, put about 8 ounces of Klotz in with the little bit of gas left in the tank, then turn it every which direction and swish it around, and then over winter every month grab the tank and give it a couple turnovers to keep that lovely Klotz coating all over the innards.
    Shaggielikes this.
  2. Bigbob1

Bigbob1Rain RiderSupporter

加入:
    2009年9月20日
    Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting this. I grew up just south of you in St. Ignace and I really enjoy the UP pictures and reports. Hope you have a good winter....go buy a skidoo
  3. luftkoph

luftkophLong timer

加入:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    I don't have time in the winter to play, it's work time for me, or I would, but most likely I'd ride a Yamaha.
  4. Bigbob1

加入:
    2009年9月20日
    Oddometer:
    Yamaha sleds are good too! I just recalled that Lietz's sold Skidoo The last time I stopped in for tires on our wings. Work in the winter in the EUP, that's different. Most folks have summer employment and drink all winter from what I recall.....
    CompressionIgnitionlikes this.
  5. luftkoph

luftkophLong timer

加入:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    Leitz quit selling ski doo, they work on them, or any sled you have. I buy a lot of my bike needs there, good shop with experienced mechanics and reasonable rate.
  6. luftkoph

luftkophLong timer

加入:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    Hard to believe it's Nov. 7, and its 63 degrees out, I couldn't stand not taking advantage of it, so the bike came out of storage for a couple more days.DSCN0093.JPGTook a short ride out by the lake,
    This is an area called Pendills creek, as you can see the creek on left and lake Superior on right. And long after you and I are gone from this world, that creek water will make it out to the Atlantic.DSCN0099.JPGWhile I was standing there pondering, there came a big splash of water behind me, a charging bull moose, a pack of hungry wolf pack? no the bank on the other side collapsed into the water, it did make me jump tho.DSCN0097.JPG
  7. luftkoph

luftkophLong timer

加入:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    Headed back towards home, but first I stopped at Point Iroquois light hose, been here hundreds of times, but still like the view, In the back ground out on the water you can see the 858 foot long Roger Blough down bound headed to Gary Indiana, a little info on the ship here.http://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/fleet/blough.htm
    DSCN0105.JPGPassing Gros Cap reef light, his journey across Superior is almost done, in a few miles he will be in the St Marys river and thru the Soo locks some Gros Cap info.http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=1114 DSCN0110.JPG DSCN0113.JPG
  8. luftkoph

luftkophLong timer

加入:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    我知道你们都在想,为什么在地球上他们call it Iroquois Point? there ain't no Iroquois around here, that's right there ain't because in 1662 some trouble makers from New York (Iroquois) thought they could move in on the Chippewa's cheddar, even tho the Chippewa only had bow and arrows and tomahawks, and the feared Iroquois relied on firearms, well sir they got their ass handed to them, all of the Iroquois where killed in action, but being gentlemen about it the Chippewa let 2 live and gave them a canoe with provisions and told them to go back and tell their families that if they ever came back the same would happen again.

Attached Files:

9. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-JimLong timer

加入:
    May 14, 2009
    Oddometer:
    That is a great story! So what that really means is that you don't mess with Yoopers! Love the history!
  10. thebeancounter

thebeancounterBeen here awhile

加入:
    Jun 13, 2008
    Oddometer:
    Your trips and pictures are great! We lived in MI from 1990 - 1994 and while we froze in the winters, we were in awe of the state's magnificent natural beauty, which you've captured so well. Glad you were back out enjoying the bit of nice weather. Your part of the world is definitely a bucket list ride.
  11. luftkoph

luftkophLong timer

加入:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'm going to try to squeeze in a few miles today and Sunday, but old man winter is lurking close by and he is a cagey bastard, ready to pounce any day now.
    thebeancounterlikes this.
  12. luftkoph

luftkophLong timer

加入:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    Ok that's it for the season, took a short ride saturday and sunday, it was very windy and chilly, I can't say it was a lot of fun, I'm proudly a fair weather rider, I have to feel the bite of sub zero weather on my flesh too much at work, so I don't need it in my pleasure.
    Even the sky was drab and ugly today, like the sun was trying to shine through a dirty dish rag, all the song birds have flown away so the only sounds are the wind in the dead vegetation, and the hollow caw of the ravens.IMG_20161112_141642367.jpgDead ferns, dead grass, apples on the tree soon to be turned into frozen mush, only color is the little Black creek with it's tannin saturated water.DSCN0122.JPG IMG_20161108_170758579.jpgBut I did have a reason to ride, since I've decided to keep the rex I put new suspenders on her, so I must dial them in a bit, and a bit I did. Most impressed with the improvement really changed the ride quality of this bike.

So over winter lay-up I may or may not put on radial brakes and master cylinder, reinstall the Akrapovic headers and carbon can with Ivan's Jet, and a modified air box, or go with pods and a factory pro 3.0,

also need a new rear tire, I've got 8000 miles on the Dunlop roadsmart II, that seems like pretty good milage, I know there is a lot of Dunlop haters but they have always been good tires for me, going way back to the seventies with TT100's on the old H1, so many good choices out there nowadays.
  13. GAS GUY

GAS GUYMILE EATER

加入:
    Jul 27, 2007
    Oddometer:
    Them are some fine looking shocks. You have all the goodies now. Akropovich exhaust and Ohlins. Might as well just enjoy it.
  14. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiralLong timer

加入:
    Apr 3, 2010
    Oddometer:
    I like your thread. Lots of variety. Thanks!
  15. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_BobInsert witty saying here....

加入:
    Aug 31, 2005
    Oddometer:
    I think you need to consider some Kenda Big Blocks for the ole gal!
  16. luftkoph

luftkophLong timer

加入:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    Thanks, supposed to be 25-30 foot waves on Superior this weekend, I have some work to do but I'm going to try to get out to Whitefish point and get some pictures, but not too close.
  17. luftkoph

luftkophLong timer

加入:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    I think they would kick me off of ZRXOA if I did that
  18. Bigbob1

加入:
    2009年9月20日
    Oddometer:
    I agree with your comment about it being windy and chilly on Saturday, I was in St. Ignace for Saturday's football game and it was blowing a cold wind
  19. luftkoph

luftkophLong timer

加入:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    No ships on Superior, winds are picking up.
    Second shot is from eastern superior buoy.Screen Shot 2016-11-19 at 7.50.36 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-11-19 at 7.53.22 AM.png
  20. RedEX

RedEXNeverSatisfied

加入:
    Apr 25, 2007
    Oddometer:
    Luftkoph, your ride reports and photos are great! Although I'm a Troll, I've made a lot of trips to God's Country, solo and two-up, tent camping and motels, plus numerous car trips for my son who was attending Mich. Tech over in Houghton. (Hm, early June can still be cold as hell at night in the tent, and then there is your Black Fly season, yikes!) Very interesting to see so many of the roads and areas that I haven't explored! I can't believe you even covered 129 along the Mississauga- took several northern Ontario fishing trips as a child and I've always wanted to get back up there on the bike. Thanks for bringing back great memories and inspiration for future trips.

(PS, that Z-Rex is sweet, glad to hear you're keeping it!)
    TheAdmirallikes this.