Palomar mountain dirt road questions

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started byazgsa,Nov 3, 2017.

1. azgsa

azgsaDude

加入:
    Feb 11, 2008
    Oddometer:
    Been up to Palomar observatory a few times but never on dirt. I'm planning a big bike ride from AZ to San Diego and was looking at doing dirt roads up to the observatory and back down the other side. For those of you in SoCal who might be familiar with these particular roads can you tell me if they are BBF (big bike friendly) for novice riders which might attend?

Here's the specific part of the route I'm talking about:

https://goo.gl/maps/e7oNtggNPtR2

From east to west on map above:

1. (From CA79) - Up the mountain Oak Grove Rd/Truck Trail to
    2. High Point Rd/Truck Trail to
    3. Palomar Divide Rd/Truck Trail to the observatory, then
    4. Down the mountain Palomar Divide Rd/Truck Trail to
    5.多恩谷路
    6. Nate Harrison Rd to Hwy 76

Thanks
    EarthSurferTXlikes this.
  2. desertdaves

desertdavesDesertDave

加入:
    Apr 29, 2015
    Oddometer:
    我做过卡车路线和sta的帕鸿沟yed on it heading north and ending up in Temecula area. It is a two track jeep trail. The part I have been on would be easy on a dual sport. I can not advise you on the Doane Valley part of the road. But I am sure it is similar as these roads are used as firebreaks and access for emergency vehicles in case of fire, etc.
    EarthSurferTXlikes this.
  3. ActionHeroJes

ActionHeroJes"I do all my own stunts"

加入:
    2014年10月8日
    Oddometer:
    I did the last part of your leg this summer but from west to east. From the 76 up the Nate Harrison grade road to the top of Palomar Mountain is definitely big bike friendly. The top is around 5500 feet above sea level so check the weather if you're going in the winter.
    EarthSurferTXlikes this.
  4. superhobie

superhobieSoil Sampler

加入:
    Nov 26, 2010
    Oddometer:
    All truck trails and dirt in that area are closed multiple locked gates.
  5. azgsa

azgsaDude

加入:
    Feb 11, 2008
    Oddometer:
    Are those closures seasonal?
  6. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunterLong timerSupporter

加入:
    Aug 30, 2009
    Oddometer:
    4140年
    EarthSurferTXlikes this.
  7. ADV BUM

ADV BUMBeen here awhile

加入:
    Dec 9, 2009
    Oddometer:
    I was just on those trails. Big bike friendly. Two problems I see. The bottom of Oak grove was locked, or I could not find the access. I need to take it from the top and see where it dumps out at the bottom. Palomar TT is closed so you will not get to the observatory therefore you cannot drop down the other side to NateHarrison. You need to back track down the Palamor Divide/ TT.

http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23499-ramona-palomar-day-trip/
  8. The Oracle

The OracleAdventurer

加入:
    Jun 11, 2013
    Oddometer:
    This is my back yard. With that said, I haven't ridden it for a few months so I don't know for sure what gates are open/closed. However, most of the time the gates are open, with the exception of a gate at the top of Palomar Divide that prevents you from making it all the way to the observatory from the north side of the mountain. This is because of a piece of private property that the owner has decided to close off access to the public to. You can ride almost to the top (you can get to a fire look out tower, which is cool) from either Palomar Divide trail or High Point truck trail but you'll have to go back down the highway 79 from either of those. You can make a loop out of by going up one and down the other, which is worth it and big bike friendly. The ONLY way to get to the observatory on dirt is via Nate Harrison. So you'll have to take 79 around the east side of Palomar Mnt., to westbound 76. Let me know if you have any more questions. Feel free to PM
    BrockEvanlikes this.
  9. evdog

evdogAdventurer

加入:
    Dec 3, 2016
    Oddometer:
  10. NomorBills

NomorBillsWesternExplorer

加入:
    Aug 20, 2010
    Oddometer:
    Chandler, AZ & Summer in the Pines, Pine, AZ
    :y0!
  11. krasht

krashtn00b

加入:
    Oct 3, 2008
    Oddometer:
    Nate Harrison Grade is mostly paved now !
  12. azgsa

azgsaDude

加入:
    Feb 11, 2008
    Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the help guys!
  13. EarthSurferTX

EarthSurferTXn00b

加入:
    Dec 13, 2019
    Oddometer:
    Old Thread, but useful for me in figuring out where to start in the SD area, THANKS!
    TrophyHunterlikes this.